You cannot see this page without javascript.

메뉴 건너뛰기

조회 수 769 추천 수 0 댓글 0
Extra Form
전시제목 돌담 시간을품다 Stone wall, embrace time
전시기간 2015. 4. 15 ~ 4. 21
전시장소 갤러리 나우 gallery Now, Seoul
갤러리 주소 갤러리 나우 서울시 종로구 인사동길 39, 관훈동 성지빌딩 3F (02. 725. 2930)
갤러리 홈페이지 http://www.gallery-now.com
There are a lot of stone walls in cheongsando where i have grown up. The stone walls were everywhere around like the background of life, that is why I couldn’t recognize them. The stone wall was the path that I could walk along, the place that the pumpkin was held on and the wind break when I flew the kite. The stone wall was changed in the way of unconsciousness like that. The reason why I recognized consciously stone wall, that is, why I recognized objects of my photos with at interval of several meters is the disappearance of the stone wall. As the stone wall was built and weathered, it takes a long time but it was disappeared easily and quickly. The stone wall exposed to rain and wind falls down easily but it’s very hard to build up. It demands more labour, more preparation process and more technique than cement block wall. It was a symbol of poverty, and what was worse, it went away quickly.
  • ⓒ김성민 Seong Min Kim
  • ⓒ김성민 Seong Min Kim
    돌담 시간을품다 Stone wall, embrace time#1_pigment print_100×150cm_1of5_2014
  • ⓒ김성민 Seong Min Kim
    돌담 시간을품다 Stone wall, embrace time#2_pigment print_100×150cm_1of5_2013
  • ⓒ김성민 Seong Min Kim
    돌담 시간을품다 Stone wall, embrace time#3_pigment print_70×100cm_1of5_2014
  • ⓒ김성민 Seong Min Kim
    돌담 시간을품다 Stone wall, embrace time#4_pigment print_70×100cm_1of5_2014
  • ⓒ김성민 Seong Min Kim
    돌담 시간을품다 Stone wall, embrace time#5_pigment print_70×100cm_1of5_2014
  • ⓒ김성민 Seong Min Kim
    돌담 시간을품다 Stone wall, embrace time#6_pigment print_70×100cm_1of5_2014
  • ⓒ김성민 Seong Min Kim
    돌담 시간을품다 Stone wall, embrace time#7_pigment print_50×75cm_1of5_2014
  • ⓒ김성민 Seong Min Kim
    돌담 시간을품다 Stone wall, embrace time#8_pigment print_50×75cm_1of5_2014
  • ⓒ김성민 Seong Min Kim
    돌담 시간을품다 Stone wall, embrace time#9_pigment print_50×75cm_1of5_2010
  • ⓒ김성민 Seong Min Kim
    돌담 시간을품다 Stone wall, embrace time#10_pigment print_50×75cm_1of5_2013
  • ⓒ김성민 Seong Min Kim
    돌담 시간을품다 Stone wall, embrace time#11_pigment print_50×75cm_1of5_2013
  • ⓒ김성민 Seong Min Kim
    돌담 시간을품다 Stone wall, embrace time#12_pigment print_50×75cm_1of5_2008
  • ⓒ김성민 Seong Min Kim
    돌담 시간을품다 Stone wall, embrace time#13_pigment print_50×75cm_1of5_2008
  • ⓒ김성민 Seong Min Kim
    돌담 시간을품다 Stone wall, embrace time#14_pigment print_75×50cm_1of5_2012
  • ⓒ김성민 Seong Min Kim
    돌담 시간을품다 Stone wall, embrace time#15_pigment print_50×75cm_1of5_2014
  • ⓒ김성민 Seong Min Kim
    돌담 시간을품다 Stone wall, embrace time#16_pigment print_50×75cm_1of5_2014
There are a lot of stone walls in cheongsando where i have grown up. The stone walls were everywhere around like the background of life, that is why I couldn’t recognize them. The stone wall was the path that I could walk along, the place that the pumpkin was held on and the wind break when I flew the kite. The stone wall was changed in the way of unconsciousness like that.

The reason why I recognized consciously stone wall, that is, why I recognized objects of my photos with at interval of several meters is the disappearance of the stone wall. As the stone wall was built and weathered, it takes a long time but it was disappeared easily and quickly. The stone wall exposed to rain and wind falls down easily but it’s very hard to build up. It demands more labour, more preparation process and more technique than cement block wall. It was a symbol of poverty, and what was worse, it went away quickly.

All thing gone away are pitiable but is there anything that can change the scenery of the hometown as much stone wall? I finally recognized the stone wall that was unconsciously changed for me when it went away. The thing valuable but not known as the real value proves the value when it’s gone away.

It gave me a strong impulsion to leave the disappearance of the stone wall. I kept asking myself when I took pictures of the stone wall. What is the value of the stone wall recognized when it was unconsciously changed for me and it went away. I formed the value a concept of curves and overlap, slow and weathering and idle artificiality and found the way of expressing them.

First, I took the curves of stone wall and its overlap. Stone wall is formed to the curves along the lay of the land. The block wall and the brick wall maximizing the efficiency prefers a straight line. The land which is disturbed to draw a line is cut down or is raised. However, stone wall does not go against the geographical features formed for years. The curves of stone wall drawing the boundary of the house, the farmland and the path are overlapped and goes together. I tried to take the melody of the curves through concealment and revelation of stone wall. Crossing and meeting of the lines and a beginning and an end make the ones of our lives an intuition.

Second, I took the slowness through the weathering trace of stone wall. Stone wall just made is not in harmony with the stone wall weathered. There is no moss and it differs in an earth color. Nevertheless, when you keep watching the wind, plants, insects, animals and men besides, stone wall certainly goes to be in harmony with the surroundings. Zinc roofs, concrete, utility poles and plastic water bottles which are products of human civilization through the weathering are overlapped with the atmosphere like stone wall.

Third, stone wall is a unnatural product but it changes the idle one. People become natural in the hardship of the world, as if stone wall is natural in the weathering. The people also who live an artificial life in nature are turing not to oppose the nature and idle life. I focused on the people who have furrow plowed in that way.

I had an appreciation of the stone wall and the people standing for years, when I worked on expressing the overlapped time with taking pictures of the moment. I took portraits of them because there was no way to express the gratitude of those. I had no idea how they thinked of preparing for their portrait and I was careful for them but they were glad. I appreciate for the people who helped me to take pictures of them without hesitation.

Kim Seong-min
내가 유년시절을 보낸 청산도에는 돌담이 많다. 돌담은 삶의 배경처럼 어디에나 있었지만 어디에나 있기 때문에 의식되지 않았다. 돌담은 내가 따라 걸을 수 있는 길이었고 호박이 열리는 풍요이며 연을 날릴 때 바람막이였다. 돌담은 그렇게 의식되지 않는 방식으로 체화되었다.
내가 처음으로 돌담을 의식적으로 의식한 계기, 즉 거리를 두고 돌담을 사진의 대상으로 의식한 계기는 돌담의 사라짐이다. 돌담은 만들어지고 풍화되면서 오랜 시간을 견디지만 가장 쉽고 빠르게 사라진다. 비와 바람에 노출된 돌담은 쉽게 허물어지지만 쌓기는 어렵다. 시멘트 블록담장에 비해 많은 노동력과 준비과정 그리고 기술이 요구된다. 가뜩이나 돌담은 가난의 상징으로 여겨져 빨리 사라져갔다.
사라지는 모든 것들이 애처롭지만 돌담만큼 고향의 풍광을 과격하게 바꾸는 것이 있을까? 나에게 무의식적으로 체화되었던 돌담은 사라질 때 의식되었다. 소중하지만 그 가치를 몰랐던 것은 사라짐으로서 가치를 증명한다.
돌담의 사라짐을 남겨야 한다는 충동을 낳았다. 나는 돌담을 사진에 담으면서 이유를 물었다. 나에게 무의식적으로 체화되어 사라짐으로써 의식되는 돌담의 가치는 무엇인가? 나는 그 가치를 곡선과 중첩, 느림과 풍화, 무위적 인위로 개념화하고 이를 표현할 방식을 모색했다.

첫째, 돌담의 곡선과 그것의 중첩을 담았다. 돌담은 지형을 따라 곡선으로 형성된다. 효율성을 극대화한 블록담장과 벽돌담장은 직선을 선호한다. 직선을 긋는데 방해가 되는 지형은 잘려나가거나 돋우어진다. 그러나 돌담은 오랜 기간 동안 형성된 지형을 거스르지 않는다. 집의 경계와 논밭의 경계 그리고 길의 경계를 긋는 돌담의 곡선은 중첩되어 어우러진다. 돌담들의 감춤과 드러남이 곡선의 선율을 긋는 장면을 담으려 노력했다. 선들의 엇갈림과 만남, 시작과 끝이 우리 삶의 그것을 직관하게 한다.

둘째, 돌담의 풍화 흔적을 통해 느림을 담았다. 이제 막 만들어진 돌담은 풍화된 돌담과 잘 조화하지 않는다. 이끼도 없고, 흙색도 다르다. 그러나 시간을 두고 바람, 식물, 곤충, 동물 그리고 사람들의 곁을 지키다보면 돌담은 어김없이 주변과 어우러진다. 인간문명의 산물인 함석지붕과 콘크리트, 전봇대, 플라스틱 물통도 풍화를 겪다보면 돌담과 같은 분위기로 덧씌워진다.

셋째, 돌담은 작위적 산물이지만 무위의 산물로 변해간다. 돌담이 풍화 속에서 자연스러워지듯, 사람들은 세상의 풍파 속에서 자연스러워진다. 자연 속에서 인위의 삶을 사는 사람들도 무위의 삶, 자연을 거스르지 않는 삶으로 변해간다. 그렇게 생겨난 주름들을 간직한 사람들에 주목했다.
순간을 포착한 사진으로 중첩된 시간을 표현하는 작업을 하면서 그 시간을 견뎌준 돌담과 사람들에게 감사하는 마음이 들었다. 그 감사함을 달리 표현할 길이 없어 영정 사진을 찍어드렸다. 영정 사진을 준비해야 하는 사람의 마음을 알 길이 없어 조심스러웠지만 모두들 좋아하신다. 촬영에 응해주신 고마운 분들께 감사 드린다.

김성민
Manipulation and sustainability, civilization and culture.

Nature is not the one that the man who returned to farming to avoid the asphalt and the concrete tasted. It demands the endless resignation with constantly swallowing up the trace of the humble man's labour. When he awakes the fantasy of returning to farming and learns how to adapt himself to nature, the small pleasure starts.

The minimized manufacture is the truth, Because the durability of the artifact in the nature is in inverse proportion. More artifact is more convenient but it is easily broken up to the hideous thing. The thing that made up more minimized looks well and more constant.

The town is not the fantasy to the people who moved to the town as to avoid the dust and the manure's smell, which they divert themselves in stopping by. The city incessantly instigates human that is one of animals and a part of nature,so that it exaggerates manipulated desire. When seeing through the illusion that the city shows us and learning the method of forming culture, we can start a small pleasure.

Human makes the city but he is nature itself. Man, a part of nature, must form the culture in the civilization. The animal the cannot make the city can live without culture but the human who has not enough power to make it could be a monster without culture. The culture accepting human nature not to be the monster in the city should be formed.

Human is the civilization in the country but nature in the city. Human being must take his position in front of the huge power of nature but he, nature itself, has to listen carefully to his inner sound when his own kingdom would be the enormous power.

A photographer sees the world through one thing and expresses one work. We meet the stone walls which were piled up under the minimized manipulation, incessantly continuing natural weathering, curves piled up one and another standing strong winds, the path along the curves and the people who have full of wrinkles just looking like it. However these are not only the stonewall, the trace, the curve, the path and the people, but also the world that the photographer sees.

There couldn't be not the world where no one worries. Therefore, there should be a critical mind of the photographer in one work taken a picture of the world. The class of the critical mind is one of the work. Does Mr Kim Seong-min express the faint nostalgia of the stone wall in his birthplace? Does he describe any critical mind and answer in the bitter strife between nature and civilization?

We all on the processing of hardly forming our self. Looking back, there would be a lot of mistakes. The person who does something when he can do it properly is one who does nothing. I would like to affirm Kim’s photos on the process of forming more desperate critical mind and cheer with all my heart. I am finishing in expectation of his works taking the increasing conflict between nature and civilization in the stronger, odder and stranger object and asking for reconciliation in the completely new ways.

writer / Choi hang jun (Doctor of Aesthetic)
가공과 지속 그리고 문명과 문화

아스팔트와 콘크리트가 싫어 귀농한 사람에게 자연은 여행의 휴식에서 맛본 그 것이 아니다. 자연은 인간의 초라한 노동 흔적을 쉴 새 없이 집어 삼키며 끝없는 체념을 요구한다. 귀농의 환상이 깨어지고 자연의 요구에 순응하는 법을 배워야 작은 기쁨이 시작된다.
최소한의 가공만이 진리다. 자연 속 인공물의 지속성은 가공도와 반비례하기 때문이다. 많이 가공된 것일수록 편리하지만 쉬 고장 나고 흉물로 변한다. 최소한의 가공으로 이루어진 것일수록 오래가고 보기에도 좋다.

흙먼지와 두엄 냄새가 싫어 도시로 이주한 사람에게 도시는 콧바람을 쐬기 위한 잠깐 들른 화려함이 아니다. 도시는 하나의 동물인, 그래서 자연인 인간을 쉴 새 없이 부추기며 조작된 욕망을 부풀린다. 도시가 보여주는 환상을 간파하고 문화를 형성하는 법을 배워야 작은 기쁨이 시작된다.

인간은 도시를 만들지만 그 자신은 자연이다. 도시의 문명에서 자연인 인간은 문화를 형성해야 한다. 도시를 만들 힘이 없는 동물은 문화 없이도 살 수 있지만 도시를 만들 힘이 있는 인간은 문화 없이는 괴물이 된다. 도시 속에서 괴물이 되지 않기 위해서 인간의 자연성을 수용하는 문화를 형성해야 한다.
시골에서 인간은 문명이지만 도시에서 인간은 자연이다. 인간은 자연의 거대한 힘 앞에서 자기의 자리를 확보해야 하지만 자신의 왕국이 거대한 힘이 될 때 자연인 자기 내면의 소리에 귀 기울여야 한다. 작가는 하나의 사물에서 세계를 보고, 하나의 작품으로 표현한다. 우리는 김성민의 작품에서 최소한의 가공으로 만들어진 돌담, 쉴 새 없이 계속되는 자연의 풍화, 이를 견디며 중첩되는 곡선, 곡선을 따라 생겨난 길, 그 길을 닮은 주름투성이 사람들을 만난다. 그러나 이들은 돌담, 풍화, 흔적, 곡선, 길, 사람들일뿐만 아니라 작가가 본 세계이다.

아무 걱정꺼리도 없는 세상은 없다. 그래서 세계를 담는 하나의 작품에는 작가의 문제의식이 있기 마련이다. 문제의식의 수준이 작품의 수준이다. 김성민은 고향 마을 돌담의 아련한 향수를 표현하는 것일까? 아니면 자연과 문명 사이의 처절한 투쟁 속에서 어떤 문제의식과 답을 표현하는 것일까?
우리는 모두 힘겹게 자신을 형성하는 과정에 있다. 돌아보면 실수투성이다. 제대로 할 수 있게 될 때 뭔가를 하겠다는 사람은 아무 것도 하지 않겠다는 사람이다. 나는 김성민의 사진을 더 처절한 문제의식이 형성되어가는 과정으로 긍정하며 응원하고 싶다. 더 강렬하고, 독특하고, 기괴한 대상 속에서 자연과 문명 사이에 커져가는 대립을 포착하고 전혀 새로운 방식의 화해를 제시하는 작품을 기대하며 줄인다.

글 / 최행준 (미학박사)
Kim Seong Min

1967 born in Cheongsan-myeon Wandogun Jeollanamdo
Masters of photography

Solo Exibition
2015 Stone wall, embrace time (Gallery Now, Seoul)

Group Exibition
2013 the scent of the southern province(Gwangju National Museum, Gwangju)
0000 Nice and joyful stripes of many colors, family exibition (Daedong gallery, Gwangju)
2012 Photo aesthetics(Myungji Art Museum, Damyang)
2011 Tracing time (Gwangju Museum of Art, Evergreen Hall, Gwangju)
0000 Existence(Jeonnam provincial Okgwa-Art Museum, Gokseong)
0000 Promising Exibition(Hakmyong Art Museum, Gangjin)
0000 Tone colour of the scenery Ⅳ(D gallery, Gwangju)
2010 Tone colour of the scenery Ⅲ(Light gallery, Seoul)
0000 Dream of the Pure Land in Maitreya(Unjusa gallery, Hwasun)
2009 Birthplace scenery (Myungji Art Museum, Damyang)
2008 People in Gumiri longevity village, Sunchang(Myungji Art Museum, Damyang)
2007 Korean sound(Myungji Art Museum, Damyang)
김성민 ( Kim Seong Min )

1967 전남 완도군 청산면 출생
광주대학교 대학원 사진학과 졸업

개인전
2015 [돌담. 시간을 품다] (갤러리 나우, 서울)

단체전
2013 [남도의 향기] (국립 광주박물관, 광주)
0000 [호락(好樂)색동 가족전] (대동갤러리, 광주)
2012 [사진미학] (명지미술관, 담양)
2011 [흔적의 시간 기획전] (광주시립미술관 상록전시관, 광주)
0000 [존재] (전라남도 도립 옥과미술관, 곡성)
0000 [될성부른전 기획전] (학명 미술관, 강진)