You cannot see this page without javascript.

메뉴 건너뛰기

조회 수 814 추천 수 0 댓글 0
Extra Form
전시제목 백의 발화 (白의 發話) White Utterace
전시기간 2015년.2. 17 ~ 3. 1
전시장소 류가헌 Ryugaheon, Seoul
갤러리 주소 서울 종로구 통의동 7-10 / 3호선 경복궁역 4번 출구(02-720-2010)
작가 홈페이지 http://www.ryugaheon.com
갤러리 홈페이지 http://www.jungjungho.com
Photography is a medium that documents the world realistically. It is also work of reckoning and interpreting implications lent to the layers of represented signifiers. What I want to do through photography is to document the visible yet allude to the invisible. I can encapsulate nature, but grasping its true nature is not easy. I also feel it’s impossible to contain ‘the invisible’ with the camera lens to represent the world realistically. After several failures I begin concentrating on the sounds of nature and my inner self. I press the shutter according to my will at the moment, disregarding conventional techniques such as composition and depth academic photographs demand.
  • ⓒ정정호 Jungho Jung
    1.Tension in Black I,64x80cm,Pigment Print, 2012
  • ⓒ정정호 Jungho Jung
    2.Tension in Black II,64x80cm,Pigment Print, 2012
  • ⓒ정정호 Jungho Jung
    3.Tension in Black III,64x80cm,Pigment Print, 2012
  • ⓒ정정호 Jungho Jung
    4.Tension in Black IV,64x80cm,Pigment Print, 2012
  • ⓒ정정호 Jungho Jung
    5.Tension in Black V,64x80cm,Pigment Print, 2012
  • ⓒ정정호 Jungho Jung
    6.Tension in Black VI,40x100cm,Pigment Print, 2012
  • ⓒ정정호 Jungho Jung
    7.Tension in Black VII,40x100cm,Pigment Print, 2012
  • ⓒ정정호 Jungho Jung
    8.The States of All Things,64x240cm,Pigment Print, 2012
  • ⓒ정정호 Jungho Jung
    9.White from Black I,64x80cm,Pigment Print, 2012
  • ⓒ정정호 Jungho Jung
    10.White from Black II,64x80cm,Pigment Print, 2012
  • ⓒ정정호 Jungho Jung
    11.Black and White I,64x80cm,Pigment Print, 2012
  • ⓒ정정호 Jungho Jung
    12.Black and White II,64x80cm,Pigment Print, 2012
  • ⓒ정정호 Jungho Jung
    13.Black and White III,64x80cm,Pigment Print, 2012
  • ⓒ정정호 Jungho Jung
    14.White, White Utterance I, 80x100cm, Pigment Print, 2013
  • ⓒ정정호 Jungho Jung
    15.White, White Utterance II, 80x100cm, Pigment Print, 2013
  • ⓒ정정호 Jungho Jung
    16.White, White Utterance III, 80x100cm, Pigment Print, 2013
  • ⓒ정정호 Jungho Jung
    17.White, White Utterance IV, 80x100cm, Pigment Print, 2013
  • ⓒ정정호 Jungho Jung
    18.White, White Utterance V, 80x100cm, Pigment Print, 2013
  • ⓒ정정호 Jungho Jung
    19.White, White Utterance VI, 80x100cm, Pigment Print, 2013
  • ⓒ정정호 Jungho Jung
    20.White, White Utterance VII, 80x100cm, Pigment Print, 2013
  • ⓒ정정호 Jungho Jung
  • ⓒ정정호 Jungho Jung
  • ⓒ정정호 Jungho Jung
  • ⓒ정정호 Jungho Jung
  • ⓒ정정호 Jungho Jung
White Utterace

Photography is a medium that documents the world realistically. It is also work of reckoning and interpreting implications lent to the layers of represented signifiers. What I want to do through photography is to document the visible yet allude to the invisible. I can encapsulate nature, but grasping its true nature is not easy. I also feel it’s impossible to contain ‘the invisible’ with the camera lens to represent the world realistically. After several failures I begin concentrating on the sounds of nature and my inner self. I press the shutter according to my will at the moment, disregarding conventional techniques such as composition and depth academic photographs demand.

Captivated by snow and white, I wander a field, following my intuition without knowing what I have to photograph. I take photographs at random. I pursue spiritual freedom, departing from conventional composition. I trust ‘contingency’ stemming from intuitive angles, relying on my hunch. My camera at last begins capturing the boundaries between the visible and invisible, and some images inspire my mind.

When seeing photographs, viewers try to learn the messages they convey. My photographs can be said to be ambiguous images with no concrete objects or message, or abstract images composed of dots, lines, and planes. However, this simplicity and ambiguity refers to another expansion. I hope viewers can discover invisible or unintentional meanings through only part of these visual, perceptual scenes.

Wassily Kandinsky said “White is an absolute silence full of possibility. This is nothingness with youth: more exactly, nothingness before inception and birth.” My white is a blank space to fill and an utterance of my inner will to start something. It is a sublime silence and simultaneously an outcry. Snow becomes another eye to see the world in my photography.
白의 發話 ; 백의발화

사진은 세상을 사실적으로 기록하는 매체다. 더불어 사진은 재현한 기표의 층위 간에 부여된 암시를 헤아리고 해석하는 작업이기도 하다. 보이는 것을 기록하되 보이지 않는 것을 말하는 것, 그것이 내가 사진을 통해 하고 싶은 일이었다.

자연을 담을 수는 있지만 자연 너머에 존재하는 실체를 파악하기란 쉽지 않았다. 그저 세상을 사실적으로 재현하려는 카메라 렌즈로 보이지 않는 ‘그것’을 담는다는 게 불가능으로 느껴지기도 했다. 여러 번의 실패를 경험한 끝에, 나는 소리를 듣는 데 집중하기 시작했다. 그것은 자연의 소리이자 내면의 소리였다. 그저 아스라한 예감이 스치는 그 순간, 마음 가는 대로 셔터를 눌렀다. 내가 무엇을 찍는지도 모른 채, 눈에 홀려, 백색에 질려, 그저 직관이 이끄는 대로 들판을 헤맸다. 반드시 무언가를 담거나 덜어내야 한다는 관성적인 구성으로부터 탈피해 ‘정신적 자유’를 추구했으며, 단지 예감에 기댄 직관적 앵글이 초래한 ‘우연성’을 믿었다. 비로소 카메라는 보이는 것과 보이지 않는 것의 경계, 내 마음을 움직이게 하는 어떠한 이미지를 담기 시작했다.

사람들은 사진을 볼 때 그 안에 담겼을 메시지를 읽으려고 한다. 이 작품들을 구체화된 세상이나 메시지를 읽을 수 없는, 모호한 이미지 그 자체라 여길 수도 있다. 하지만 이러한 단순함과 모호성은 또 다른 확장이다. 익숙한 시•지각적 풍경의 일부만을 통해 보이지 않았던 혹은 단지 보려고 하지 않았던 의미를 발견하길 바란다.

칸딘스키는 ‘흰색은 가능성으로 차 있는 침묵이다. 그것은 젊음을 가진 無이다. 정확히 말하면 시작하기 전부터 無요, 태어나기 전부터 無인 것이다’라고 말했다. 나의 백색 역시 차오르기 위한 여백이며 무언가 시작하려는 내적 의지의 발화다. 숭고한 침묵인 동시에 소리 없는 아우성이다. 요컨대, 눈(雪)은 세상을 보는 다른 눈(目)이 되었다.

Wassily Kandinsky, Du spiritual dans l’art et dans la peinture en paticulier, French ed. (Paris: Denoel, Gonthier, 1969), 155.
On the Chaosmos of Black and White

Literature-Art Critic By Yoo Heon-sik

What we above all take note of is change in black and white forms. Starting from a black agile dot reminiscent of ‘ohm’, the primal sound of the universe, Jung Jung-ho’s work features black ovals, and finally shows concrete tree shapes. The transition in Jung’s photographic work coincidently follows the basic movement of Tao, or way, or principle: “The Tao produced One; One produced Two; Two produced Three; Three produced All things.”(Chapter 42, Tao Te Ching by Laozi)

If we define Tao as nothingness, one concentric circle refers to the emergence of One; the two circles to the creation and expansion of Two; and three circles to the emergence and expansion of Three. Diverse physical aspects of the Three, that is, the results of change in all things are subsequently appearing in his tree images. As being derived from nothing becomes enriched, the imagery is filled with black. Reversal occurs here. “The movement of the Tao by contraries proceeds(反者道之動),”(Chapter 40, Tao Te Ching by Laozi). White defeated by black launches its counterattack. As white infiltrates gradually into the territory of black, the whole turns into white. From now on, the feast of white begins. Returning to the world of white, the original ground, the amusement of lines stemming from white flow throughout his scene.

Jung’s works on display at the show are metaphysical, ontological abstract forms. The dynamics between black and white monochromes in the first part can be read as the correlation between nothing and being. Works in the second part are composed of abstract images rendered through contact between white and white up close or far away. The dim lines derived from the contrast between snow(white) and ice(black) and hills capped with snow emerge. Diverse curves are formed through the movement of the border between black and white and encounters of white and white. Even if applying the theme of Hegel’s dialectic: that the creation of being derives from the attractive and repulsive forces of being and nothing, Jung’s work symbolically displays the fact that there is always inter-infiltration between being and nothing, mutual struggle and mutual recognition between something and nothing in creation, and the result returns to white.
Hamlet’s shout “To be, or not to be, that is the question” refers to the primal nature of human existence. The ‘shaking border’ between black and white is neither chaos nor cosmos, but the two. This thus can be called ‘chaosmos’. As the border or chaosmos moves depending on the dynamics of forces, one orients to life, and the other to death. In Jung’s work this appears as morphologic imbalance according to inter-infiltration and dynamics between black and white.

Interpretation of black and white in his work is an issue. According to Wassily Kandinsky, “White is an absolute silence full of possibility. This is nothingness before inception and birth.” By contrast, “Black is nothing without possibility, an eternal silence without future or hope.” This description on black and white almost corresponds to the above interpretation of Jung’s work. White as nothing is the formless source of life and form whereas black as nothing proceeds to extinction as form. As white corresponds to the infinite and black to the finite, the process of returning to white through black signifies the fate of black within white. In this respect we can understand the ontological order of his oeuvre.

The order of black and white can be grasped from a different perspective however: a scene starts from black, and finishes with white as gradually infiltrating white. While the interpretation above is based on the Taoist world-view, this is anchored to the Christian world-view. In Genesis Chapter 1 ‘chaos’ and ‘darkness’ is nothing or black as the negative ousted by light(white), Logos. That is to say, black is chaos(darkness) in the beginning and not the source of life, whereas white works as the driving force giving rise to life, denying black in connection with light. The two cases see white as the source of life, but the source of existence can be white or black depending on the world view. What perspective does Jung see within the origin of the world?

We take note of not only tension and resonance derived from confrontation and interpenetration between black and white, but self-rupture within black and interrelation between white. Jung seems to use black’s chromatological meaning mixed with its ontological meaning. If he sees black simply as darkness and death, white as the source of life, no movement appears in black or evil has to emerge from black. However, the rhythm of life is sensed in rupture within black. At the moment black secures the affirmative possibility of life, white loses its ontological meaning, deteriorating to a passive object

White passivity appears in work of the second part reveals only the vague borders of the hills while relying on the white of snow. Jung Jung-ho unconsciously moves to black’s ontological meaning from its chromatological meaning. Black has the ability of bearing new life in itself as ‘an unidentified undefined object(chaos)’. This may be correct in that it corresponds to the black hole and chaos theories in modern physics. We just need to seriously consider in what context we use black and white.
Before photographs could capture natural phenomena abstractly, viewers often used their infinite poetic imagination. Jung’s photographs are highly impromptu and abstract however, the task assigned to the abstract photographer is how to attain objectivity, reducing subjective interpretation, and how to convert the casual into the inevitable. As ‘photography’ relies more heavily on external conditions than other art genres, it is always hard to embody the meaning of inevitability and objectivity in contingency. Jung nonetheless has taken a significant step in raising abstract images captured from nature to objective, inevitable metaphysical forms, anchored to his individual life experience and thought.
흑백의 카오스모스에 대하여

문예비평가, 단국대 교수, 유헌식

우선 주목할 것은 흑과 백의 형태의 변화이다. 시원(始源)의 소리 ‘옴’(Ohm)을 연상시키는 날렵한 검은 점을 필두로 하여 검은 타원 형태들이 서서히 모습을 드러내면서 급기야는 다소 구체적인 형태의 나무 모습으로 변한다. 정정호 사진의 전반부에서 드러나는 이 과정은 우연치 않게 혹은 공교롭게도 ‘도(道)’의 기본적인 움직임에 따른다. “道生一 一生二 二生三 三生萬物(도는 일을 낳고 일은 이를 낳으며 이는 삼을 낳고 삼은 만물을 낳는다)”(노자, 도덕경, 42장) 아무 것도 없는 본바탕(無)을 도(道)라 할 경우 한 개의 동심원은 一의 출현, 두 개의 동심원은 二의 생성과 확장 그리고 세 개의 동심원은 三의 출현과 확장이다. 이 三이 다양한 물리적 양상, 즉 삼라만상의 변화(物候)로 나타난 결과가 그 다음에 이어지는 나무 형태의 이미지이다. 無에서 생성된 有가 가득해지면서 이미지는 이제 검은 빛으로 가득 찬다. 여기서 반전(反轉)이 일어난다. “反者道之動(되돌아가는 것이 도의 움직임이다)”(도덕경, 40장) 黑에게 밀렸던 白의 반격이 시작된다. 黑의 영역에 서서히 白이 침투하면서 결국 전체는 白의 천지로 화한다. 이제 백색의 향연이 시작된다. 본바탕인 백의 세계로 복귀하면서 백색끼리 자아내는 선의 유희가 전면에 흐른다.
정정호의 이번 전시작품들은 형이상학이고 존재론적인 추상체이다. 특히 전반부의 작품들에게서 나타나는 백과 흑의 무채색의 역학관계는 無와 有의 상관관계로 읽을 수 있으며, 후반부의 작품들은 형태를 결여한 채 순전히 백과 백이 원근으로 접촉하여 구성하는 추상적 이미지이기 때문이다. 물질적으로는 강에 쌓인 눈(白)과 얼음(黑)의 대비 그리고 온통 눈으로 덮인 구릉들에서 비롯하는 희미한 선의 형상만이 시선에 들어온다. 백과 흑의 경계가 이동하며 백과 백이 만나 다양한 곡선을 이룬다. 존재계의 생성은 有와 無의 인력(引力)과 척력(斥力)에서 비롯한다는 헤겔 변증법의 테제를 끌어들이지 않더라도 생성의 현상에는 항상 ‘有와 無의 삼투’ 즉 있음과 없음의 상호투쟁과 상호인정이 자리잡고 있으며 그 결과는 白으로 귀일(歸一)한다는 사실을 정정호의 작품은 상징적으로 보여준다.
“있을 것인가 없을 것인가? 그것이 문제다!”라고 외치는 햄릿의 절규는 바로 경계에서 흔들리는 인간존재의 원초적 실상을 그리고 있다. 흑과 백 사이에서 ‘흔들리는 경계’는 혼돈(chaos)도 아니고 질서(cosmos)도 아니지만 또한 이 양자이기도 하다. 그래서 그것은 카오스 속의 코스모스를 의미하는 ‘카오스모스(chaosmos)’라 부를 수 있다. 경계 혹은 카오스모스가 힘의 역학관계에 의해 이동하면서 한 쪽은 삶의 방향으로 다른 한 쪽은 죽음의 방향으로 움직인다. 정정호의 작품에서 이는 白과 黑의 상호침투와 역학관계에 따른 형태상의 불균형으로 나타난다.
그런데 작품에 나타난 ‘白’과 ‘黑’의 해석이 문제가 된다. 흰색은 칸딘스키에 따르면 “가능성으로 찬 침묵으로서, 시작하기 전의 無이며 태어나기 전의 無”인데 반해, 검은색은 “가능성이 없는 無이며, 미래와 희망이 없는 영원한 침묵”이다. 흰색과 검은색에 대한 이러한 설명은 정정호의 작품에 대한 앞의 해석과 거의 일치한다. 無로서의 흰색은 생명과 형태의 무정형적인 근원이고 無로서의 검은색은 형태 지어진 것으로서 소멸을 향해 나아간다. 요컨대 흰색에는 무한이, 검은색에는 유한이 상응하면서 白에서 黑을 거쳐 白으로 복귀하는 과정은 白 안에서의 黑의 운명을 그린다는 점에서 작품 전체를 존재적인 선후(先後)관계로 이해할 수 있게 된다. 하지만 흑과 백의 선후관계를 다른 시각에서 파악할 수도 있다. 黑에서 출발하여 서서히 白에 의해 침투되면서 결국 白으로 마감하는 과정이다. 앞의 해석이 동양의 도가적 세계관에 입각해 있다면 지금의 해석은 서양의 기독교적 세계관에 입각한 해석이라 할 수 있다. 성서 창세기 1장의 ‘혼돈’과 ‘흑암’은 無, 즉 黑으로서 하나님의 말씀인 빛(白)에 의해 축출되는 부정적인 것이다. 다시 말하면 黑은 시초의 혼돈(어둠)일 뿐 생명의 출처가 아니며 白은 빛과 연관되어 시초의 黑을 부정하여 생명을 낳는 원동력으로 작용한다. 두 경우 모두 白이 생명의 원천이라는 점에서는 같으나 존재의 시원을 白으로 볼 것인지 黑으로 볼 것인지는 어떤 세계관으로 접근하느냐에 따라 달라진다. 정정호는 과연 어떤 관점에서 세계의 시원을 보고자 한 것일까? 전체적으로는 黑과 白의 대립적이면서 상호침투하는 경계의 긴장과 그에 따른 울림에 주목하게 되지만, 다른 한편으로는 黑 안에서의 자기 균열과 白끼리의 상호관계 또한 주목하지 않을 수 없다. 여기서 정정호는 黑이 지닌 색채론적인 의미와 존재론적인 의미를 혼용하고 있는 듯하다. 그가 黑을 단순히 암흑과 죽음으로만 파악하고 白을 순전히 생명의 근원으로만 파악했다면, 黑에서는 사실상 움직임이 없거나 순전히 부정적인 의미체, 이를테면 악(惡)이 드러나야 한다. 그런데 그의 작품에 드러난 黑 안에서는 균열 혹은 파열(破裂)을 통한 생명의 율동이 보인다. 黑 자체가 생명의 긍정적인 가능성을 획득하는 순간 白은 수동적인 객체로 전락하여 존재론적인 의미를 상실하게 된다.
白의 수동성은 전시작품 가운데 후반부 작업이 주로 눈(雪)의 백색에 의존하면서도 눈 덮인 구릉들의 희미한 경계만 드러날 뿐 눈 자체는 아무런 미동도 보이지 않는다는 데에서 알 수 있다. 여기서 정정호는 자신도 모르게 黑의 색채론적인 의미를 떠나 존재론적인 의미로 갈아타고 있다. 존재론적으로 흑색은 ‘속을 알 수 없는 무규정체(카오스)’로서 자체적으로 생명을 잉태하는 힘을 지니고 있다. 이는 현대 물리학의 블랙홀 이론이나 카오스 이론에도 부합하기 때문에 사실관계에서 틀린 것은 아니다. 다만 흑과 백을 어떤 의미에서 사용할지에 대해 숙고할 필요가 있겠다는 생각이다.
자연현상을 추상적으로 포착한 사진 앞에서 관객은 무한한 시적 상상력을 펼치기 마련이다. 하지만 이번 정정호의 사진처럼 즉흥성이 강하면서도 고도의 추상성을 띤 작품의 경우, 어떻게 주관적인 해석의 여지를 줄이고 객관성을 확보할 것인지, 그리고 우연적인 사건을 얼마나 필연으로 전환시킬 것인지는 추상적인 사진작가의 숙제가 아닐 수 없다. ‘사진’은 다른 예술장르에 비해 외부의 우연적인 조건에 의존하는 정도가 높은 만큼 우연 속에서도 필연과 객관의 의미를 구현하는 작업은 불가피하면서도 항상 어렵다. 그런데도 정정호는 그간의 개인적인 삶의 체험과 사고를 바탕으로 자연에서 포착한 추상적인 이미지를 객관적이고 필연적인 형이상학의 형태로 승화시키는 데 중대한 일보를 내딛었다.
White: The Color of Birth and Death

By An Hee-yeon, Poet

This white work of Jung Jung-ho is triggered by ‘ecstasy’. What lures him is none other than ‘white’. The images he captured in heavy snow or wandering a snowfield ‘came’ to him in a way impossible to describe. When a scene flies at him as wild waves surge, his hand presses the shutter. The state of the hand pressing the shutter prior to the thinking he engages to take a photograph; the moment of ecstasy without space for intention or calculation ------

What’s the identity of this white captivating him? Jung says he photographs the visible and existent. But, why no reference in his photographs to the open and infinite beyond reference? I closely look at his photographs to find an answer. I have a slightly weird experience: sound vanishes as if my ears are cut off with scissors. His images bring me somewhere, a world unknown to me. I am a new-born baby in a world without space and time, like a strange planet. It is well-known that the world a newborn baby sees is different from the one an adult sees. It is said the infant is able to recognize small objects and feel color and distance three or four months after birth. The world is thus only white and black at the moment of birth. Time that remains unidentified eternally as we surely passed through but date back to it ------ I think Jung’s work brings us to such time in the beginning.

There is no form in his work. There is only a spreading. Black smears into white without any boundary, and vice versa. Such images enable us to have a symbolic experience of the world we meet immediately after birth. The high tension between black and white that seems calm but encapsulates enormous energy, a secret time when something is about to come into being after a long stillness ------ Black and white moves as if they are a condition of other being, like both sides of the coin. Dark absorbing light and the light ousting dark is here. A tree at last comes into being after such a fierce time.

The ‘tree’ is the only subject of these photographs. This tree undergoes cold, naked in a snowing barren land. While previous images refer to a world reflected onto a newborn baby’s eyes, this ‘tree’ reminds us of humanity’s a priori isolation and precariousness of being. The trees stand in their own distinctive pose, but stand like scrawny humans. The trees cannot sit or lie down. Like the ash of being, snow falls on them. In this respect white is vehement and fearful. It can bury one without attracting attention. This covering is another name for death. The ‘trees’ buried in heavy snow are like dying men who die immediately after birth. The trees show how aliveness is precarious and lonely in a way of saying nothing.

As of now, his images advance in the two directions of ‘rupture’ and ‘extinction’. Tension between black and white that has been consistently maintained in Tension in Black becomes more intense and its dynamism is reinforced in White from Black and Black and White. The moment of ‘split’ that is weak in his early work vastly spreads across throughout the canvas. The imagery of such rupture is reminiscent of the underlying, inherent anxiety of human existence. Jung knows well the horizon of our life is not a solid land but a precarious space like a thin sheet of ice.

When the world on which we live collapses as it couldn’t withstand the weight of our existence, we will be sucked down into the world without having time to cry out. Cracks gulping us up ---- “There are so many holes toward oblivion in our spirit.” (The Aleph by Jorge Luis Borges). As in Borges’ phrase, the hole slowly opening its mouth to suck us is an abyss immeasurable with time. This is also someone’s distant cracked eye with an inherent soundless fear.

White at last covers black by melding its own body. The series White Utterance consisting of the third section shows different scenes but is actually just one scene. As soon as I see these images, I delude myself that I am in a white desert. A desert shows no traces of those who passed there, which is the way of its existence. Swept and deleted by the wind without resistance is the most intense metaphor for extinction. The ever-changing world, the indescribable world of dim feelings ------- The world we are facing is perhaps just a mirage or a vacant illusion.

Jung’s white encapsulates a dim distance from birth to death. His white covers the world a newborn baby sees for the first time after the birth, human existence’s isolation and precariousness, and the violence and fear of death reducing all to nothing. What Jung tries to find in a snowfield is the ontological imagery of ‘humanity’ and ‘life and death’. Like the titles of Paul Gauguin’s paintings such as Where Do We Come from? What Are We? Where Are We Going? (Dou Vnons Nous? Que Sommes Nous? Ou Allons Nous?), he seems captured by white to question his existence without knowing what it truly means.

Here is a collection of poems entitled White Utterance. At the moment you open the first page, you go somewhere. Nobody knows where and when it is. After closing the last page, you cannot be what you were. That is why something unexplainable yet familiar is there, and you fall into the profound depths of birth and death.
白 : 탄생과 죽음의 색

시인, 안희연

정정호의 이번 白의 작업은 어떤 ‘홀림(ecstasy)’으로부터 시작된다. 그가 붙들려 있던 대상은 다름 아닌 ‘백(白)’으로, 그가 폭설 속을, 눈밭을 헤매며 포착해낸 이미지들은 그 스스로도 설명 불가능한 방식으로 그에게 ‘온’ 것들이다. 거센 파도가 밀려오듯, 하나의 풍경이 그의 영혼을 향해 달려들 때 그의 손은 이미 셔터를 누르고 있었다. 사진을 찍어야겠다는 생각 이전에 사진을 찍고 있는 손이 있는 상태. 의도나 계산이 끼어들 틈 없는 ‘홀림’의 순간.
그를 사로잡은 이 백(白)의 정체는 무엇일까. 그는 분명 보이는 것을, 존재하는 것을 찍었다고 했는데 왜 그의 사진은 아무것도 지시하지 않고, 오로지 그 너머를 향해서만 무한히 열려 있는 것일까. 나는 이 의문에 대한 답을 찾기 위해 그의 사진을 곰곰 들여다보았다. 그러자 놀랍게도, 조금 이상한 체험을 하게 됐다. 누군가 가위를 들고 나의 귀를 오려버린 것처럼, 내가 감각하고 있던 모든 소리가 고스란히 사라져버렸기 때문이다. 그런데 소리만 사라진 것이 아니었다. 그의 이미지들은 나를 어딘가로 데려다 놓았다. 그곳은 내가 익히 알고 있던 세계가 아니었다. 시간도 공간도 없는 곳. 궤도를 벗어나 불시착한 낯선 행성 같은. 그곳에서 나는 지금 막 세상에 태어나 처음으로 눈을 뜬 아이가 됐다.
갓 태어난 아이의 눈에 비친 세계가 어른이 보는 세계와 다르다는 것은 익히 잘 알려진 사실이다. 생후 3, 4개월이 되어서야 비로소 작은 물체를 알아보기 시작하고, 색깔이나 거리감을 느낄 수 있다고 하니, 세상에 태어나 우리가 만나는 세계는 오로지 흑백으로만 존재할 뿐이다. 분명 지나왔지만 거슬러 갈 수 없기에 영원히 미지로 남아있는 시간들. 나는 정정호의 이번 작업이 그런 태초의 시간들로 우리를 데려가고 있다고 생각했다.
형체는 없다. 다만 ‘번지는’ 것만이 있다. 흑이 백으로, 백이 흑으로, 경계 없이 흩어지고 스민다. 뒤덮이거나 뒤덮는다. 이런 이미지들은 우리가 세상에 태어나 처음 마주하는 세계의 모습을 상징적으로 체험케 한다. 짐짓 고요해보이지만 실은 엄청난 에너지를 내장한, 흑과 백의 팽팽한 긴장감. 긴 적막을 뚫고 곧 무언가 탄생할 것만 같은, 비밀스런 시간. 흑과 백은 동전의 양면처럼, 서로가 서로의 존재조건이라는 듯 운동한다. 빛을 빨아들이는 어둠이, 어둠을 밀어내는 빛이 그곳에 있다. 그리고 그런 격렬함의 시간을 뚫고 마침내 하나의 ‘나무’가 탄생한다.
이 ‘나무’는 이번 작업에 유일하게 등장하는 피사체다. 그러나 이 ‘나무’는 눈 내리는 불모의 땅에서 맨몸으로 추위를 겪고 있다. 앞선 이미지들이 갓난아이의 눈(目)에 비친 최초의 세계를 현상한다면, 이 ‘나무’는 인간에게 주어진 선험적인 고독과 존재의 위태로움을 환기한다. 세 그루의 나무는 제각기 다른 자세로 서 있다. 그러나 예외 없이, 살이 다 흘러내린 뒤의 뼈만 남은 인간처럼 서 있다. 땅에 붙들린 채 앉을 수도 누울 수도 없는 나무들. 그 위로 눈(雪)이 내린다. 존재의 재 같은 눈이 온다.
백(白)이 지닌 격렬함과 공포는, 바로 여기에 있다. 아무도 눈치 채지 못하게, 소리 없이, 한 존재를 파묻을 수 있다는 것. 이러한 뒤덮임은 ‘죽음’의 다른 이름이기도 할 것이다. 그러므로 폭설 속에 발목을 묻은 저 ‘나무’는, 태어남과 동시에 죽어가기 시작하는 인간이나 다를 바 없다. 살아 있다는 것이 얼마나 위태로운 일인지, 고독한 일인지, ‘나무’는 아무 것도 말하지 않는 방식으로 말하는 것이다. 이제 그의 이미지들은 ‘균열’과 ‘소멸’이라는 두 개의 방향으로 전개된다. [흑의 긴장]에서부터 일관되게 유지되어오던 흑과 백의 긴장감은 [흑으로부터의 백], [흑과 백]에 이르러 더욱 팽팽해지고, 역동성 또한 강화된다. 아울러 초반에는 미약한 정도로 포착되던 ‘갈라짐’의 순간도 화면 전체를 가로지를 정도로 광범위하게 펼쳐지고 있다. 이런 ‘균열’의 이미지는 인간 존재의 본질적이고 내재적인 불안을 상기시킨다. 그는 우리 삶의 지평은 견고한 땅이 아니라 살얼음처럼 위태로운 공간이라는 점을 잘 알고 있다. 우리가 발 디딘 세계가 우리 존재의 무게를 이기지 못하고 갈라지고 깨어질 때, 우리는 비명을 내지를 시간도 없이 수면 아래로 빨려 들고 말 것이다. 우리를 삼키는 균열, 구멍들. “우리들의 정신에는 망각으로 뚫려 있는 수많은 구멍들이 있다.”(호르헤 루이스 보르헤스, 『알렙』) 보르헤스의 문장처럼, 우리를 삼키기 위해 천천히 입을 벌린 저 구멍들은 인간의 시간으로는 측정 불가능한 심연일 것이다. 또한 그것은 누군가의 갈라진 눈동자다. 소리 없는 공포. 그 아득함을 내장한.
마침내 백은 자신의 몸을 녹여 흑을 뒤덮기 시작하고, 그 끝에는 오로지 하얀, 너무나 하얀 백의 시간만이 출렁이고 있다. 3부를 구성하고 있는 [白, 백색 발화] 연작은 제각기 다른 풍경이지만, 실은 단 하나의 풍경이기도 하다. 이 이미지들을 마주하자마자, 마치 흰 모래사막에 당도해 있는 것 같다는 착각에 사로잡혔다. 본래 사막은 그 어떤 흔적도 허락하지 않는 방식으로 존재하는 것이지 않은가. 바람이 불면 부는 대로 저항 없이 휩쓸리고 지워지는 것. 이것은 ‘소멸’에 대한 가장 강력한 방식의 은유다. 끊임없이 몸을 바꾸면서 움직이는 세계. 보았지만, 무엇을 보았는지는 말할 수 없는 아스라한 느낌의 세계. 어쩌면 우리가 마주하고 있는 이 세계는 모로 누운 나체 여인의 매끄러운 등허리처럼, 신기루에 불과한 것인지도 모른다. 덧없는 환영(幻影)일지도 모른다.
정정호의 백(白)은 탄생부터 죽음까지의 아득한 거리를 담고 있다. 그의 백(白)은 갓난아이의 망막에 맺힌 최초의 세계, 인간 존재의 고독과 위태로움, 모든 것을 무(無)로 되돌리는 죽음의 폭력과 공포를 포괄한다. 정정호가 홀로 눈밭을 헤매며 찾고자 했던 것은 ‘인간’에 대한, 그리고 ‘삶과 죽음’에 대한 존재론적 이미지였다. ‘우리는 어디에서 와서 어디로 가는가(Where Do We Come From? What Are We? Where Are We Going?/Doù Venons Nous? Que Sommes Nous? Où Allons Nous?)’라는 고갱의 작품 제목처럼, 그는 자신의 존재를 질문하기 위해 하염없이 ‘백(白)’에 붙들려 있었던 것 같다. 그 자신도 그것이 무엇인지 모른 채.
여기, ‘白의 발화’라는 제목을 가진 한 권의 시집이 있다. 이 시집의 첫 장을 펼치는 순간 당신은 어딘가로 가게 된다. 그곳이 어디인지, 어떤 시간인지 그건 아무도 모른다. 그러나 그곳이 어디든 어떤 시간이든, 당신은 이 시집의 마지막 장을 덮고 난 뒤에 이전과 같아질 수 없을 것이다. 말하자면, 무언가 설명할 수는 없지만 우리에게 친숙한 것이 그곳에 있기 때문에. 탄생부터 죽음까지의 아득한 깊이가 당신에게로 한꺼번에 돌진해 올 것이기 때문에.

Jungho Jung (Male, 1981)

Jungho Jung was born in Seoul in 1981. He completed his M.A in fine art photography at Hongik University and in mass communication at Konkuk University, both in South Korea. He photographs different aspects of landscape and the ambigious shapes of water, snow, and ice to explore how visual impressions bring about changes in human sensibility and thought. In his series White Utterance, he has tried to figure out “the true nature of white” by photographing in white landscapes covered with snow.

He is a recipient of residencies at the Art Council of Korea’s Normadic Residency Program in Iran in 2014 and at Bongong Centre for Sound Culture in Australia in 2015. Recent exhibition showing his works include International Discoveries V (2015) at Houston Fotofest, USA; Five Sense of Iran (2014) at the Iranian Academy of Arts, Iran; International Young photographers (2012) at Bongsan Cultural Center, Daegu, South Korea; and Circulation (2011), Pingyao International Photography Festival, China. He was solo exhibited five times and over twenty times group exhibition. His works will appear in a solo exhibition at the Australian Centre for Photography (ACP), Paddington, NSW, in August 2015.

Education
2013 Graduated from dept of Photography, Graduate School of Hongik University
2009 Graduated from dept of Mass Communication, School of Kunkuk University

Solo Exhibition
2015 White Utterance, Australian Centre for Photography(ACP), Sydney, Australia
2015 White Utterance, Ryegaheon Gallery, Seoul, Korea
2014 Ice Chaosmos, Kimbosung Art Center, Seoul, Korea
2014 Ice Chaosmos, Cyart gallery, Seoul, Korea
2013 White Utterance, Gallery Pyungchangdong, Seoul, Korea
2005 Beautiful Moment, Gallery Quesaisju, Seoul, Korea

Group Exhibition
2015 FotoFest International Discoveries V, Houston, Texas, USA
2014 Five Sense of Iran, SABA Institute, Teheran, Iran
2013 Hongkong Bank Art Fair, Island Shangri-La, Hongkong
2013 33 Artist, Gallery Pyungchangdong, Seoul, Korea
2013 Art Link Project, Insa Art Center, Seoul, Korea
2012 In-sight, HOMA museum, Hongik Univ. Seoul, Korea
2012 Daily Life Abstract Seoul, Unofficial preview gallery, Seoul, Korea
2012 SCAF Contemporary Art Star, Seoul Art Center Hangaram Museum, Seoul, Korea
2012 Art Preview and Portfoilo show, Sejong Univ.Seoul, Korea
2012 Daegu Photo Biennale- International Young Photographer, Bongsan Cultural Center, Daegu, Korea
2012 ASYAAF, Culture Station Seoul 284, Korea
2011 Post Photo, Gong Art Space, Seoul, Korea
2011 Pingyao Photo Festival, Sansi, China
2010 Post Photo, Ilum Gallery, Seoul, Korea
2009 IVI Photo, Gwanghwamun Gallery, Seoul, Korea
2008 Variation of String, Chonggye Town Square, Seoul, Korea
2008 Magnum Photo Award, Seoul Art Center-Hangaram Museum, Seoul, Korea
2008 Korean Air Photo Award, Sejong Art Center, Seoul, Korea

Residency
2015 BCSC Supported Program, Bogong Center for Sound Culture, Australia
2014 Normadic Residency Program Iran, Arts Counsil of Korea

Award
2013 New Discourse Artist, Cyart Research Institute, Korea
2012 Art Preview/Portfoilo Award, Korea Art Education Promotion Association, Korea
2008 Korean Air Photo Award, Korean AirLines, Korea
2007 National Geographic International Photo Award, National Geographic Korea

Other Reference
2014 ‘Editor’s Pick’, Lens Culture, Paris, France, September
2014 The Silence, the snow and the Far East, ‘Hastmag’, Teheran, Iran, November
2014 'Photist Preview', Photo Dot, Seoul, Korea, March: 168-171
2014 'Photo Album', Monthly Photo, Seoul, Korea, January: 122-123
2013 'Monologue', PHOTO+, Seoul, Korea, May: 58-62
2013 'A.M Artist', Artistic Move, Korea, February: 46-55
2012 'October Photographer', Monthly Photo, Seoul, Korea, October: 128-133
2005 'Rookies', Digital Cathch, Seoul, Korea, July: 87-95
정정호

정정호는 1981년 서울生으로 홍익대학교 대학원에서 사진을, 건국대학교에서 신문방송을 전공했다. 그의 사진은 물, 눈, 얼음처럼 같은 물질의 다른 양태나 조건들이 만나고 이 시각적 인상에 관한 인간 감각의 미세한 변화를 극적인 상황으로 이끌어내고 몰입하게 하는 독특함이 있다. 작품 白의 發話에서는 하얗게 쌓인 눈이 만들어내는 형상과 눈 아래 갈라지는 얼음의 형체를 담은 추상사진이다. 일견 모든 것을 덮어 무(無)로 만드는 것 같지만 이내 백색의 또 다른 그림을 그려내는 눈의 속성, 고요해 보이지만 엄청난 에너지를 내포한 백색의 의미를 탐구한 사진이다.

그의 최근 전시로는 2015년 미국 휴스턴 포트페스트 인테네셔널 디스커버리 5전에 참여했고, 한국문화예술위원회 아르코 노마딕 레지던시 프로그램에 선정되어 이란예술위원회에서 [Five sense of Iran ] 전시를 가졌다. 류가헌의 전시는 5번째 개인전이며, 20여회의 단체전에 참여했다. 그는 2015년 8월 호주의 Australian Centre for Photography (ACP)에서 개인전이 예정되어있으며 4월 호주의 Bogong Centre for Sound Culture(BCSC)의 레지던시 작가로 입주할 예정이다.

위로