You cannot see this page without javascript.

2018 05

서정희 JungHee Seo

by PhotoView posted Apr 06, 2018
Extra Form
전시제목 Red Hunt 4.3 .... 사라진 기억들
전시기간 2018. 4. 24 ~ 5. 13
전시장소 제주 성안 미술관
오프닝 2018. 4. 24 오후 6시
갤러리 주소 제주도 제주시 아라일동 2349-1 (0507 1422 9175)
작가 홈페이지 https://blog.naver.com/koteni
후원 문화체육관광부, 제주, 제주문화예술재단
4.3 Incident … Lost memories A car stopped behind my car when I was photographing an old tree at the entrance to Sambatguseok town in Donggwang-ri and a mother and daughter got out of the car. "You're taking pictures here?" "Yes, I am taking pictures about 4.3 incident." A woman who seemed to be the mother continued, "This is my father's birthplace. That tree that you see there is the sign. I heard that when the 4.3 incident broke out, my uncle lived in a cave and he was pierced with a bamboo spear, so he went to Hanlim hospital. Since then, all of our family has left. The family gave away this land to an organization and they never ever came back here. My father passed away a few weeks ago. I moved to Jeju-do, since then. Whenever I think of my father, I come here with my daughter. Good luck with your photographs.” The words ringing in my ears and the lost memories still touch my heart. Four years ago, I had the opportunity to see the Jeongbang memorial ceremony. Back then, I could not tell why the ceremony is held at the waterfall. Now I know what happened there. Without knowing, I went to many places that hold memories of the 4.3 accident for four years. I could not understand anything at that time, but now I do know that it was the memories and the suffering of the remnants who lived with painful injuries. The 4.3 incident is not over yet. It has become a part of my memory and has sunk deep in my heart. Watching the Bukchon baby tomb, the Bultannang (burned tree) and Darangsh bamboo grove, I felt like I heard some small stories from Osolok town and the wounds are not going to be healed. The wounds became scars but we should not hide the scars. Now we should open up the painful scars in the world and we must make sure that this horrible accident should not happen again and we have to remember the way it is. Every photograph has its own format and content. The contents of my photographs are of the 4.3 incident, but nothing was there in the 4.3 historic site. Bamboo grove only tells of the lost town. It was not easy to photograph the 4.3 incident. It was only the time of the ruins that I could photograph. I took some pictures of two minutes. Then I took modeling shots and I continued my work on the picture with digital synthesis method. I thought about an abandoned tree as a form of a photograph. Born as a tree, cut by someone, made into a pallet, and abandoned again. It was probably similar to the 4.3 victims. Those who are completely forgotten while they were exploited by the Japanese and got through the 4.3 incident. I collected scrap wood and I used sandpaper to make it soft and cut wood with a saw and made photo frames. The abandoned trees were reproduced and sublimated into works. As a work for remembering the 4.3 incident, the frames and photographs are going to be put on display together. Red Hunt is my perception of the situation. I questioned the perception of the previous era driven to red hunt and I wanted to ask who the Reds were and who were the witches. The red hood and the yellow hood stand for unknown witches of that age. The beginning of the Cold War era was probably the 4.3 incident. Jeju residents have expressed the pain of Korean people who lived during the Cold War era. The 4.3 incident is the sadness of the times and sorrow of a trampled nation. Now we have to go beyond the pain and move to reconciliation and peace. We have to choose justice out of injustice and revenge.
  • ⓒ서정희 JungHee Seo
  • ⓒ서정희 JungHee Seo
    Red Hunt
  • ⓒ서정희 JungHee Seo
    Red Hunt
  • ⓒ서정희 JungHee Seo
    Red Hunt
  • ⓒ서정희 JungHee Seo
    Red Hunt
  • ⓒ서정희 JungHee Seo
    Red Hunt
  • ⓒ서정희 JungHee Seo
    Red Hunt
  • ⓒ서정희 JungHee Seo
    Red Hunt
  • ⓒ서정희 JungHee Seo
    Red Hunt

Red Hunt --- 서정희 작가 사진전

제주 4.3 70주년을 맞이하여 서정희 작가 사진전이 열린다. Red Hunt는 빨갱이 사냥으로 비유된 4.3 초토화작전을 말한다. 이념의 시대에 살았던 그리고 혼돈의 시대에 살았던 제주도민들은 영문도 모르고 죽어 나갔다. 그리고 서로를 죽였다. 무장대와 경찰, 군인 그리고 일반 양민들. 안정을 되찾지도 못한 채 6.25 동란이 일어났다. 누가 누구를 위해 했는지 제주도민들은 잘 안다. 그러기에 서로 말없이 지내왔다. 이제 상생의 시대가 돌아 왔다. 서정희 작가는 제주의 아픔을 쓰다듬듯 담담히 사진으로 풀어나갔다. 디지털 아트로 표현된 이번 전시 작품들은 제주의 아픔과 상처를 치유하듯 그림 같은 사진으로 서로를 위로해 준다. 갈구하듯 다가오는 손에서 혼돈의 실타래를 풀고 나오는 제주민의 마음을 보는 것 같다.
제주 4.3을 통해 작가는 제주도를 더 깊이 알게 되는 계기가 되었다고 한다. 제주에 정착한 이후 알게 모르게 담았던 사진들이 제주 4.3 과 관련되었던 사실을 알게 된 것이다. 작가가 다시 찾은 43 유적지에서 담을 수 있었던 것은 밭과 나무 밖에 없었다고 한다. 아무것도 남지 않은 잃어버린 마을 그리고 유적지....4.3 관련 안내문만이 그 흔적을 알려줄 뿐이었다고 한다. 작가는 그곳에서 2분 이상의 장노출의 사진을 담았고 그 사진에 2015년 정방 위령제 <해원상생무>와 2017년 제주 비엔날레 <전쟁 없는 세상을 위한 장례>(이상 제주춤예술원 김미숙대표) 그리고 2017년 제주부토국제페스티벌(연출 라무)의 퍼포먼스 모습을 합성하였다. 그렇게 재창조된 사진들은 43개의 작품으로 탄생이 되었고 4.3의 이미지에 강렬한 메시지를 담은 사진으로 평가 받고 있다.
작가의 고민은 여기서 끝나지 않고 액자로 다가간다. 버려진 받침목을 주워 재가공하여 사진의 형식인 액자를 만든 것이다. 두 번 버려진 나무 그리고 작품으로 부활한 원목액자. 작가는 지난 겨울 액자와 씨름하며 43 개의 액자를 완성하였다고 한다. 일제 강점기와 4.3을 겪은 제주민의 삶이 액자에 고스란히 남아 있는 것이다.
이번 전시작품은 총 43점으로 1 부 아픔의 시작, 2부 치유 그리고 평화, 3 부 잃어버린 마을로 전시될 예정이며 사진집도 발간한다. 전시는 제주문화예술재단의 후원으로 4월 24일부터 5월 13일까지 성안미술관에서 진행된다.

4.3 .... 사라진 기억들

동광리 삼밧구석마을 입구에서 고목을 찍고 있을 때 내 차 뒤로 또 한 대의 차가 멈추었다. 그리고 모녀가 내렸다. “여기서 사진을 찍고 계시네요.” “예, 제가 4.3을 주제로 사진을 담고 있습니다.” 어머니 인듯한 아주머니가 말을 이어갔다. “여기는 저의 아버지 생가터예요. 저기 보이는 저 나무가 표식이에요. 4.3 때 동굴에서 생활하다가 삼촌이 죽창에 찔려 한림병원으로 갔더랬어요. 그 길로 집안 식구 모두 여기를 떠나셨데요. 이 땅은 어떤 단체에 줘 버리고 두 번 다시 이곳에 오지 않았구요. 얼마전 아버님이 돌아가셨어요. 아버지가 돌아가시고 제가 제주로 내려 왔어요. 아버지 생각이 나면 이렇게 한번 씩 딸과 함께 와요. 사진 잘 담으세요.” 귓가에 맴도는 말들. 사라진 기억들은 아직도 우리의 마음을 울리고 있다.
4년전 우연히 정방 위령제를 볼 수 있는 기회가 있었다. 왜, 하필이면 정방폭포에서 위령제를 하는지 알 수 없었다. 이제는 안다. 정방에서 무슨 일이 있었는지. 4년 동안 알지 못하면서도 4.3 사건을 기억하는 많은 곳을 갔었다. 그 때는 알 수 없었지만 이제는 그 모든 것들이 아픈 상처를 부둥켜안고 살아가는 남은 자들의 고통의 기억들이었다는 것을 안다.
아직도 4.3은 끝나지 않았다. 기억 속의 편린으로 남아 가슴을 파고든다. 북촌 애기 무덤을 보면서 선흘리 불탄 낭을 보면서 다랑쉬 대숲을 보면서 오소록이 마을 대밭 속에서 들려오는 자잘한 얘기들. 그 상처들은 치유되지 않을 것이다. 상처는 흉터가 되었지만 우리는 흉터마저 지울 수는 없다. 이제는 아픈 상처 그리고 흉터를 세상에 내 보이고 다시는 이런 일이 되풀이되지 말아야 할 것과 있는 그대로의 모습으로 기억해야 할 갓이다.
사진은 형식과 내용이 있다. 사진의 내용은 4.3 이지만 4.3 유적지에는 아무것도 남아 있지 않았다. 대밭만이 잃어버린 마을을 알려 줄 뿐이었다. 4.3을 사진으로 담는 것은 참으로 어려운 일이었다. 사진으로 담을 수 있는 것은 유적지의 시간뿐이었다. 2분여의 시간을 사진으로 담았다. 그리고 모델 촬영을 하여 디지털 합성으로 사진작업을 이어 갔다.
사진의 형식으로 버려진 나무를 생각 하였다. 나무로 태어나 누군가에 의해 베어져 파레트(받침목)로 만들어 졌고 다시 버려진 나무. 어쩌면 4.3 희생자와 닮아 있었다. 일제의 의해 수탈당하고 4.3을 겪으며 완전히 잊혀진 사람들. 나는 그 나무들을 주워 사포로 밀고 톱으로 재단하여 액자를 만들었다. 버려진 나무를 재생하여 작품으로 승화 시켰다. 하나의 작품으로 액자와 사진이 같이 전시되는 것이다.
Red Hunt는 상황에 대한 나의 인식이다. 빨갱이 사냥으로 몰아갔던 이전 시대의 인식에 의문을 던지고 오히려 누가 빨갱이 였는지 누가 마녀였는지를 묻고 싶었다. 붉은 두건과 노란 두건은 알 수 없는 그 시대의 마녀를 지칭한다. 냉전시대의 시작은 아마도 제주 4.3 사건이었을 것이다. 모택동의 중국이 등장하는 시대에 살았던 우리 민족의 아픔을 제주도민은 몸으로 표현했을 것이다. 4.3은 시대의 아픔이자 짓밟힌 민족의 서러움이다. 이제 그 아픔을 넘어 화해와 평화로 가야한다. 정의와 복수 중에서 우리는 정의를 선택해야 한다.

4.3 Incident … Lost memories

A car stopped behind my car when I was photographing an old tree at the entrance to Sambatguseok town in Donggwang-ri and a mother and daughter got out of the car. "You're taking pictures here?" "Yes, I am taking pictures about 4.3 incident." A woman who seemed to be the mother continued, "This is my father's birthplace. That tree that you see there is the sign. I heard that when the 4.3 incident broke out, my uncle lived in a cave and he was pierced with a bamboo spear, so he went to Hanlim hospital. Since then, all of our family has left. The family gave away this land to an organization and they never ever came back here. My father passed away a few weeks ago. I moved to Jeju-do, since then. Whenever I think of my father, I come here with my daughter. Good luck with your photographs.” The words ringing in my ears and the lost memories still touch my heart.
Four years ago, I had the opportunity to see the Jeongbang memorial ceremony. Back then, I could not tell why the ceremony is held at the waterfall. Now I know what happened there. Without knowing, I went to many places that hold memories of the 4.3 accident for four years. I could not understand anything at that time, but now I do know that it was the memories and the suffering of the remnants who lived with painful injuries.
The 4.3 incident is not over yet. It has become a part of my memory and has sunk deep in my heart. Watching the Bukchon baby tomb, the Bultannang (burned tree) and Darangsh bamboo grove, I felt like I heard some small stories from Osolok town and the wounds are not going to be healed. The wounds became scars but we should not hide the scars. Now we should open up the painful scars in the world and we must make sure that this horrible accident should not happen again and we have to remember the way it is.
Every photograph has its own format and content. The contents of my photographs are of the 4.3 incident, but nothing was there in the 4.3 historic site. Bamboo grove only tells of the lost town. It was not easy to photograph the 4.3 incident. It was only the time of the ruins that I could photograph. I took some pictures of two minutes. Then I took modeling shots and I continued my work on the picture with digital synthesis method.
I thought about an abandoned tree as a form of a photograph. Born as a tree, cut by someone, made into a pallet, and abandoned again. It was probably similar to the 4.3 victims. Those who are completely forgotten while they were exploited by the Japanese and got through the 4.3 incident. I collected scrap wood and I used sandpaper to make it soft and cut wood with a saw and made photo frames. The abandoned trees were reproduced and sublimated into works. As a work for remembering the 4.3 incident, the frames and photographs are going to be put on display together.
Red Hunt is my perception of the situation. I questioned the perception of the previous era driven to red hunt and I wanted to ask who the Reds were and who were the witches. The red hood and the yellow hood stand for unknown witches of that age. The beginning of the Cold War era was probably the 4.3 incident. Jeju residents have expressed the pain of Korean people who lived during the Cold War era. The 4.3 incident is the sadness of the times and sorrow of a trampled nation. Now we have to go beyond the pain and move to reconciliation and peace. We have to choose justice out of injustice and revenge.