You cannot see this page without javascript.

메뉴 건너뛰기

2018 11
2018.11.25 09:34

이군열 Thomas K Lee

조회 수 234 추천 수 0 댓글 0
Extra Form
전시제목 SEX OF NATURE 자연의 성
전시기간 2018. 11. 21 ~ 11. 27
전시장소 갤러리 나우 gallery Now, Seoul
갤러리 주소 서울시 종로구 인사동길 39, 관훈동 성지빌딩 3F T. 02. 725. 2930
갤러리 홈페이지 http://www.gallery-now.com
관람시간 11am - 7pm
These are a series of photographs that show the wilderness, previously untouched by human beings. Once I reach this stark and isolated landscape it invokes feelings of loneliness and awe. The natural environment is harsh and stark. I recently had been in the welled land called Mustang in Nepal last July where I was looking to compare the place to Tasmania and I found more than enough contrast between two places. My photography captures the essence of nature and this time I have worked on it by comparing and combining Mustang and Tasmania in black and white photographs. Tasmanian landscape shows wide and deep ancient forests with much vegetation which I felt seems to convey a feminine energy, but The Mustang land has a very high level of mountainous attitude but without many plants- it is also quite a dry place which I though all carried masculine energy. I expressed this onto my photographs and hope to deliver the message that there are many different surfaces and moments that situate on earth right at this moment. - Thomas K Lee
  • ⓒ이군열 Thomas K Lee
  • ⓒ이군열 Thomas K Lee
    Mustang Masculine 4, 59.4cm x 42.0cm, E 10, Archival Inkjet on cotton Platine Fibre Rag 2018
  • ⓒ이군열 Thomas K Lee
    Mustang Landscape 13, 90cm×68cm, E 5, Archival Inkjet on cotton Platine Fibre Rag 2018
  • ⓒ이군열 Thomas K Lee
    Mustang Landscape 3, 90cm×68cm, E 5, Archival Inkjet on cotton Platine Fibre Rag 2018
  • ⓒ이군열 Thomas K Lee
    Tasmania Landscape 2, 90cm×60cm, E 5, Archival Inkjet on cotton Platine Fibre Rag 2017
  • ⓒ이군열 Thomas K Lee
    Tasmania Tree 5, 59.4cm×42.0cm, E 10, Archival Inkjet on cotton Rag 2017
  • ⓒ이군열 Thomas K Lee
    Tasmania Mountain 1, 90cm×60cm, E 5, Archival Inkjet on cotton Platine Fibre Rag 2017

자연의 성 (sex of nature)

지난 10년동안 호주 태즈메이니아를 살며, 오가며 여행과 사진으로 즐겼습니다. 그리고 감히 그 자연을 사랑하고 있습니다.
태고적 자연의 모습으로 간직된 야생지 태즈메이니아와 히말라야 산맥에 자리한 무스탕을 감히 사진으로 서로를 대립하여 담아 보았습니다.

두곳 모두 내눈에 비친 그곳은 놀라움을 금치 못하였습니다.
남반구, 사람사는 끝자락, 초록이 넘치는 깊은 태즈메이니아는 온몸으로 껴안은 나의 어머니 품과 같았고, 북반구의 거대하지만 황량한 무스탕은 나의 아버지의 숨결을 느꼈습니다.
태즈메이니아 그리고 네팔의 무스탕은 사람 보기 힘든 그런 오지입니다. 황량하지만 더 아름다움으로 다가왔으며 사진하는 사람으로 그 이끌림을 무시하기 어려웠습니다. 나의 눈과 마음에 비춰진 대립된 자연을 나의 프레임에 넣어보았습니다. 그리고 독자로 하여금 각자의 해석을 만들었으면 합니다.

내 사진은 보는이로 하여금 평온하고 차분한 그런 심미적으로 힐링되는 그런 작품을 만들어 보고자 애썻습니다. 그리고 그 야생지는 나의 내면을 크게 성장시켯다고 생각합니다. 또한 자연 그 본질적인것에 대하여 가치를 알게 하였습니디.
우리 모두가 순수 자연과 같은 정화된 마음으로 내일을 살아가는데 힘이 되었으면 합니다.

자연의 성 (sex of nature)

These are a series of photographs that show the wilderness, previously untouched by human beings. Once I reach this stark and isolated landscape it invokes feelings of loneliness and awe. The natural environment is harsh and stark.

I recently had been in the welled land called Mustang in Nepal last July where I was looking to compare the place to Tasmania and I found more than enough contrast between two places. My photography captures the essence of nature and this time I have worked on it by comparing and combining Mustang and Tasmania in black and white photographs.

Tasmanian landscape shows wide and deep ancient forests with much vegetation which I felt seems to convey a feminine energy, but The Mustang land has a very high level of mountainous attitude but without many plants- it is also quite a dry place which I though all carried masculine energy.

I expressed this onto my photographs and hope to deliver the message that there are many different surfaces and moments that situate on earth right at this moment.

- Thomas K Lee

In the great traditions of over 200 years of wilderness photography and photographers, Thomas K Lee’s images help to define contemporary ways of considering landscape.

Landscape, as is so often contemplated, is a reflective space for how a civilization views itself, how we might consider our relationship to place, and how we pause to reflect on the progress we have made. Pristine, untouched, raw, these landscapes help to remind us of what an ‘untouched’ Earth might look like. However, this poses a question about ourselves that we often find challenging – for in the pursuit of progress humans strive to understand and experience every corner of the globe, and sometimes we forget to look back at what progress has cost us – Thomas’ photographs remind us of the price of progress.

In seeing the landscapes Thomas has presented to us in this exhibition, perhaps we should acknowledge that the cost of progress is sometimes too high, and the preservation of natural beauty, virgin and raw, should remain one of our highest priorities.

Associate Professor Shane Hulbert
Associate Dean, Photography
RMIT University, School of Art
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

자연의 성(SEX OF NATURE)....

“첫번째 약속”
호주 멜번에서 태즈메이니아에 대한 토마스 리(이군열)의 이야기는 나의 호기심을 자극 하는데 충분했다. “시간나면 올께”라고 한 약속을 지키기 위해 나는 멜번 공항에서 토마스를 만나 10일간의 트레킹을 떠났다. 매일같이 눈과 비가 내리는 태즈메이니아의 속살을 보겠다는 일념으로
우리는 25KG이나 되는 배낭을 각자 메고 끝이 보일 것 같지 않은 산길을 걷기 시작했다. 하루 종일 온몸을 적시고 있는 태즈메이니아의 겨울은 처음 오는 이방인에게 자신의 속살을 보이지 않으려고 잔뜩 움츠리고 있는 모습이 쉽게 접근하기가 어렵게 느껴졌다. 저만치 뒤따라오던 토마스의 모습이 보이지 않는다. 분명 태즈메이니아의 거친 원시림 속에 숨어 있는 생명력을 카메라 렌즈에 담고 싶어 숨죽여 셔터를 누룰 수 있는 찰나를 기다리고 있으려니 하고 나는 길을 간다. 늘 어둠이 내려 캄캄한 밤에 HUT(산장)에 도착한 그는 흥분을 가라앉히지 못하고 태즈메이니아의 생명력에 대해 이야기를 했다. 촛불 하나 켜져 있는 HUT의 슬리핑 침낭 속에서 얼은 몸을 녹이며 사진과 삶에 대한 이야기 하다가 잠이 들곤 했다. 외국 생활을 하면서 경험하는 삶의 모습을 그는 태즈메이니아의 거친 원시림 속에서 살아 견디는 생명체에 대해 동질감을 느껴 더 애착을 갖고 있는듯한 느낌을 받기도 했다. 매일 변해가는 그의 렌즈 속에 담겨진 작품은 많은 변화의 삶을 살아온 속도만큼 변해가는 듯 했다. 유난히 비가 많이 내리던 저녁 하루 종일 찍은 사진 중에 다른 형식의 사진이 보였다. 숨 가쁜 자신의 모습을 자연에서 찾아 숨가쁘게 토해내던 작품과는 다른 숨을 쉴 수 있는 공간이 보이기 시작하더니 작품에서 여백의 여유가 보이기 시작했다. 자신의 이야기를 토해놓기 바쁘다가 이제 여백에 느낌표와 물음표 그리고 삶에 대한 무한의 질문을 던질 수 있는 공간을 찾은 듯 한 것이 놀라웠다. 어머니의 자궁 속과 같은 태즈메이니아의 원시림 속에서 거칠게 살아가는 생명과 현재의 삶의 무게를 렌즈에 담아 보려는 그의 열정은 무엇을 녹여서 에너지를 얻는지 궁굼 했다.

“또 다른 약속”
거칠고 습한 초록의 원시림인 태즈메이니아를 떠나며 다음에는 눈비가 오지 않는, 햇살을 볼 수 있는 곳으로 가보자고 한 약속을 지키기 위해 우리는 네팔의 카투만두 공항에서 만나 히말라야 은둔의 왕국 무스탕으로 향했다. 카메라 장비와 배낭을 메고 30일간의 고산 트레킹은 힘든 일정이었다. 고산을 처음 오르는 토마스는 고통스러운 두 번의 고산병을 극복하며 늘 뒤쳐져서 따라 왔다. 늘 무엇인가를 찾아갔던 테즈메니아와는 다르게 그는 가만히 멈춰 어딘가를 한참을 응시하다가 카메라를 꺼낸다. 틸리쵸 호수(해발4900M) 베이스캠프에서는 새벽에 나가 카메라를 설치하고 서서 아침을 먹으며 무엇인가를 끝없이 기다리는 모습은 측은하기까지 했다.
힘들게 트롱나패스(5400M)를 넘어온 그는 은둔의 왕국을 들어서며 흥분을 감추지 못했다. 흥분은 늘 기다림으로 계속되고 그는 매의 눈으로 갈색의 나라 무스탕의 인고의 세월 속에 속살을 드러내는 거친 피부를 담기 위해 멈추기를 반복했다. 생명이 살아가기에 너무도 열악한 환경 속에서 살아가는 질긴 생명들... 그것들을 담기 위해...
트레킹이 끝나고 보여준 그의 작품 속에서 새로운 형식들을 볼 수 있었다. 작은 사각의 렌즈 속에 담은 선과 면, 표피와 내면, 덩어리와 무게, 외로움과 충만함, 여성성과 남성성... 무한의 생명을 품고 있는 태즈메이니아와 생명력을 찾아보기 힘든 히말라야 무스탕의 환경은 현재를 살아가는 자신의 삶의 외침을 그대로 담은 작품일 것이다. 사진작가 이군열의 이번 전시를 나는 이렇게 이야기하고 싶다.
자연의 성(SEX OF NATURE)....

협성대학교 예술대학 교수 이정근(조각가)

이군열 Thomas K Lee

호주 태즈메이니아의 원시 자연환경은 그로하여금 어린 시절을 한국 시골에서 보낸 그 시절을 마주하게 하는 특별한 경험을 하였으며 태고적 자연과의 경험, 그것을 통해 삶의 나침판을 갖게 되었다.

시드니에서 관광을 전공 후 다년간 관광분야에서 일을했으며 여가활동으로 자연 사진을 찍었다. 2007년 후반 가족과 함께 태즈메이니아로 이주, 원시 야생지(Wilderness)에서 마주하게되는 매혹의 순간들을 사진으로 만들고자 고민하며 살고있고, 호주 맬번 RMIT 대학에서 사진을 전공 후 자연과 사람이라는 주제로 사진 활동을 하고 있다.

Thomas K Lee

Thomas Lee engages in all styles of photography but having grown up in a rural village in South Korea, the wilderness holds a special appeal.

In his twenties, Thomas moved from Korea to Sydney, Australia, to study tourism. At this time, he worked in the tourism industry and pursued photography as a hobby. Returning to Seoul, South Korea, in his early thirties, he continued working in tourism while maintaining his passion for photography.

Thomas returned to Australia in 2008 and settled in Tasmania where he once again worked in tourism. Having observed the untouched beauty of Tasmania, he was inspired to preserve the ancient forests, alpine ranges, pristine coastline and serene lakes in his photographs. Through his work he seeks to share and protect the images of the pure, natural environment.

In 2014 Thomas decided to pursue photography in a professional capacity. He moved to Melbourne with his family to formally study photography at RMIT.

Today, Thomas works as a professional photographer. His photography captures the essence of nature and people. He aims to raise money selling fine art images and photo books of the Tasmanian landscape, donating funds to preserve the wilderness.

His ultimate aim is to be a great fine art nature photographer.

위로