You cannot see this page without javascript.

메뉴 건너뛰기

2017 03
2017.03.03 14:04

Hojung Audenaerde and Bruno Figueras

조회 수 403 추천 수 0 댓글 0
Extra Form
전시제목 visibleINvisible (브로큰 홀 Broken Whole)
전시기간 2017. 3. 1 ~ 3. 14
전시장소 갤러리 나우 gallery Now, Seoul
갤러리 주소 서울시 종로구 인사동길 39, 관훈동 성지빌딩 3F (02-725-2930)
작가 홈페이지 http://visibleinvisible.es
갤러리 홈페이지 http://www.gallery-now.com
관람시간 11am - 6pm / 3월 14일은 2pm 까지 관람가능
broken whole is an ongoing photographic collaboration between Bruno Figueras and hojung audenaerde. since the end of the korean war in 1953, over 220,000 south korean children have been adopted internationally mostly to europe and the united states. many were not orphans in the traditional sense, as their parents were still living. these children were abandoned or given up for adoption usually due to being mixed-race or for being born to single, unwed mothers. i am one of these children... this is my story. growing up, i was often told to be grateful for having been adopted. i learned quickly to bury any painful emotions behind a stoic mask. i felt trapped and betrayed by my asian face, when asian is the last thing i felt and the last thing about myself that i wanted to embrace. i met my biological mother on 29 december 2014... an experience that literally blindsided and flattened me. since 1998, she has been in an assisted living hospital, after having suffered a cerebral stroke which left her paralyzed on the right side of her body and unable to speak. looking into my mother's eyes, i knew she knew who i was. something deep inside of me broke, while we held hands and cried together. i returned home and transmuted into my mother. i was frozen and immobile, lost somewhere deep inside myself. i had no words to explain how i felt, because i felt nothing. i was numb. and hollow. it hurt to be alive. all i wanted to do was sleep. and forget. bruno watched all of this helplessly. he coaxed me to get up, back to the living. he urged me to express myself, in whatever way possible. creating these images with bruno is part of my process of regaining my voice: to assimilate all that i have experienced as a korean adoptee; to reveal how external circumstances and perceptions have affected my internal spaces; to expose my inner battles while exploring the entirety of my identity; and perhaps to find some peace in the complexity of being a conscious, whole human being. this project is dedicated to my birth mother, whose voice has been silenced, and to all single mothers who make the very brave, but heart-breaking decision to give up their children in hopes of offering them a better future. ~ hojung audenaerde
  • ⓒBruno Figueras and hojung audenaerde
    behind the pearly whites
    cultural migrations
    eyes wide open
    lucid nightmares
    maternal trinity
    perceptions of sengai gibon I
    the fetal box
    there is no I in eye

broken whole

broken whole is an ongoing photographic collaboration between hojung audenaerde and bruno figueras.
since the end of the korean war in 1953, over 220,000 south korean children have been adopted internationally, mostly to europe and the united states. many were not orphans in the traditional sense, as their parents were still living. these children were abandoned or given up for adoption usually due to being mixed-race or for being born to single, unwed mothers. i am one of these children... this is my story.

no one ever needed to tell me that i was adopted. i looked very different from my 6 foot tall, blue-eyed parents, and also from almost everyone else around me. life confronted me with endless questions: where are you from? why do you look different? what happened to your “real” parents? so many questions with no easy or comfortable answers. i didn't want to talk about it or even look at any of that. i really just wanted to fit in and be “normal” and seemingly happy, like everybody else.
growing up, i was often told to be grateful for having been adopted. i learned quickly to bury any uncomfortable feelings or painful emotions, hiding behind a stoic mask. i felt trapped behind and betrayed by my asian face, when asian is the last thing i felt and the last thing about myself that i wanted to embrace.

one day i realized i had to inquire into that ultimate question: “who am i?” in order to heal my fragmented sense of self.
with bruno's encouragement and support, we made the journey back to south korea: a country that i had no memory of and that i virtually knew nothing about, but a country that i was forever linked to. i was returning to my birthland in search of my roots, family history, and some answers to the first 27 months of my life.

on 29 december, 2014, i met my biological mother... an experience that literally blindsided and flattened me.
since 1998 she has been in an assisted living hospital, after having suffered a cerebral stroke, which left her paralyzed on the right side of her body and unable to speak. everything that i was looking for to fill in the gaps of my past, her story, and our shared history was inaccessible in my mother's inability to communicate. but looking into my mother's eyes, i knew she knew who i was. something deep inside of me broke, while we held hands and cried together.
i returned home and transmuted into my mother. i was frozen and immobile, lost somewhere deep inside myself, and did not want to speak about it. i had no words to explain how i felt, because i felt nothing. i was numb. and hollow. it hurt to be alive. all i wanted to do was sleep. and forget.

bruno watched all of this helplessly. he tried to coax me to get up, back to the living. he urged me to express myself, in whatever way possible... creating these images with bruno is part of my process of regaining my voice: to assimilate all that i have felt and experienced throughout my life as a korean adoptee; to reveal how external circumstances, situations, and perceptions have affected my internal spaces; to expose my inner battles while exploring the entirety of my identity; and perhaps to find some peace in the complexity of what it is to be alive and to be a conscious, whole human being.

this project is dedicated to my birth mother, whose voice has been silenced... and to all the single, unwed mothers in south korea, who receive no familial or societal support, and make the very brave, but heart-breaking decision to give up their children in hopes of offering them a better life and future.

~ hojung audenaerde

artist statement for the "broken whole" exhibition in seoul, korea ~ march 2017

dear friends, we continue to live in uncertain and unstable times – politically, environmentally, culturally, and spiritually... a global dis-ease that only seems to be increasing. instead of celebrating and embracing a diversity of views and existences, we seem to be becoming more polarized and divisive... living with more separation and isolation, both as individuals and societies. and even within ourselves.

our lives have become so accelerated; our beings have become more dispersed... distrust and lack of faith have become the way.
but there is another way. of peace and wholeness.

it is through the awareness of our suffering that we can begin to heal and transform. and through our shared vulnerability that we can begin to connect. so that we can begin to open our minds, soften our hearts, and cultivate compassion towards ourselves and each other. and thus really start to feel the non-separation of being and solidarity of spirit.

my early childhood was marred by continuous separation: from my biological mother, my biological father, my ancestral roots, my birth nation and culture... and even though i subsequently had adoptive parents, lived in new homes, and assimilated in foreign lands, nothing quite alleviated the primal wounds of those initial disconnections. my precarious sense of self and fragile existence still extend into my life today.

broken whole may be a story of loss and alienation and their enduring effects on my being. but, it is also a story of reconciliation. and of coming home.

and you, the viewers in korea, are an intrinsic part of that reconciliation. i hope that you will take your time to contemplate and reflect on these images. and that perhaps you can identify with them. this project has been an integral part of my healing process. it is part of a much larger vision. it is my aspiration that it will touch your hearts. and that it will start to open up the secrecy around adoption and this part of korean history, so that we can begin to reunite fragmented families and heal the pain and despair in our collective consciousness.

may this work be of some benefit in cultivating loving-kindness, understanding, and compassion. may all beings be happy, healthy, and free from suffering. may you be well and peaceful.

~ hojung audenaerde
1953년 한국전쟁이 중지된 이후부터 22만 여 명의 남한 아동들이 전세계, 주로 유럽과 미국으로 입양되어 나갔다. 그중 다수는 아직 부모님이 살아있다는 점에서 일반적으로 생각하는 고아가 아니었다. 이 아이들은 보통 혼혈이나, 미혼모의 아이라는 이유에 의해 버려지거나 입양을 위해 부모가 양육권을 포기한 아이들이다. 이는 나의 이야기이다.

아무도 내게 내가 입양아라고 말해줄 필요가 없었다. 나는 큰 키에 파란 눈을 가진 부모님이나 주변의 거의 모든 사람들과 매우 다르게 생겼다. 끝없는 질문들이 닥쳐왔다. 어디에서 왔니? 왜 다르게 생겼니? 너의 ‘진짜’ 부모님에게 무슨 일이 생겼니? 무엇 하나 쉽고 편한 답이 없는 수많은 질문이었다. 이에 대해 이야기하거나 생각하고 싶지도 않았다. 나는 그저 모두 그러하듯이 ‘평범하게’ 다른 사람들과 어울리며 행복하고 싶었다.

자라면서는 종종 입양된 것에 대해 감사해야 한다는 소리를 들었다. 나는 금욕적인 가면 뒤에 불편한 감정이나 고통을 빠르게 묻고 감추는 법을 익혔다. 스스로 전혀 아시아인이라고 생각하지 않고, 이를 받아들이지 않는 나에게 내가 가지고 있는 아시아인의 겉모습은 마치 덫에 걸린 느낌으로 배신감마저 들었다.
어느 날, 산산조각이 난 나 자신을 치유하기 위해 ‘나는 누구인가’ 라는 절대적인 질문을 해야 한다는 것을 깨달았다. 브루노의 응원과 도움을 받아 나는 기억 하나 없고 아무것도 아는 것도 없지만 영원히 나와 연결되어 있을 나라, 남한으로 오게 되었다. 나는 내 삶의 첫 번째 27개월을 보낸 고향에서 나의 뿌리와 가족의 역사, 그리고 대답을 찾으려는 것이다. 2014년 12월 29일, 나는 내 생모를 만났다. 이 경험은 문자 그대로 느닷없이 당했고 날 쓰러지게 했다.
1998년부터 요양병원에 있었던 그녀는 뇌졸중으로 쓰러져 오른쪽 반신이 마비되고 말을 할 수 없는 상태였다. 내가 기대해왔었던 잃어버린 과거에 대한 이야기나 어머니의 이야기, 우리가 함께 지낸 시간에 대한 이야기는 의사소통이 불가능한 어머니의 안에 갇혀 접근할 수가 없었다. 하지만 어머니의 눈을 바라보자, 그녀가 나를 알아보았다는 것을 알 수 있었다. 그의 손을 붙잡고 함께 우는 동안 나의 마음 속 깊숙한 곳에 있던 무언가가 깨졌다.
나는 집으로 돌아와 나의 어머니로 바꾸었다. 나는 얼어붙고 움직일 수가 없었으며 깊숙한 곳의 무언가를 잃어버렸지만 이에 대해 이야기하고 싶지는 않았다. 아무것도 느끼지 않기에 내가 어떤 기분인지에 대해 설명할 말도 없었다. 나는 무감각해지고 텅 비었다. 삶은 고통이었다. 내가 바라는 것은 오직 잠을 자는 것이었다. 그리고 잊어버리는 것이었다.
브루노는 이 모든 것을 속수무책으로 지켜보았다. 그는 나를 달래어 일어나 다시 살아가도록 노력했다. 그는 어떤 방식으로든 나 자신을 표현하도록 나를 설득했다. 브루노와 함께 한 이 작업들은 목소리를 다시 찾기 위한 과정의 일부이다. 한국인 입양아로서 살면서 느끼고 경험한 것들을 완전히 이해하고, 외부적 환경과 상황, 인식이 나의 내적 세계에 어떻게 영향을 미쳤는지 알아내며, 내 정체성의 전부를 탐험하며 내 내적인 갈등을 드러냄과 동시에 아마도 한 인간객체로서 살아간다는 것이란, 지각한다는 것이란 무엇인가에 대한 복잡성 속에서 평화를 찾아가는 것이다. 이 프로젝트는 목소리가 사라져버린 나의 생모에게, 또한 남한의 모든 미혼모들에게 바친다. 그들은 가족이나 사회로부터 아무 지원을 받지 못하고 더 나은 삶과 미래를 주고 싶다는 희망으로 아이들을 포기하는 매우 용기있고 가슴 아픈 결정을 내렸다.

Hojung Audenaerde
“Broken Whole” (조각난 완성체)는 호정과 파트너 브루노 피구에라스가 진행 중인 사진 작품 콜라보레이션이다.
아티스틱 듀오, 공동 작업하는 예술가 부부인 visibleINvisible의 한 사람인 호정은 태어난 지 27개월 만에 이탈리아의 벨기에 출신인 양부모에게 입양되었다. 자기 자신에 대한 부정과 정체성의 붕괴로 산산조각이 난 자신을 치유하기 위해 '나는 누구인가' 라는 절대적인 질문에 답해야 한다는 것을 깨닫고, 자신의 뿌리를 찾아 한국으로 왔다. 마침내 만난 호정의 생모는 1998년 뇌졸중으로 쓰러져, 의사소통이 불가능한 상태였다.
호정이 자기 자신을 다시 찾기 위한 과정의 일부로 사진가인 남편 브루노와 함께 시작한 “Broken Whole” 시리즈는 목소리가 사라져버린 호정의 생모에게, 또 아이를 해외로 입양 보낸 모든 어머니들에게 바치는 작품이다. 2016년 9월 20일부터 2017년 1월 5일까지 영국 런던에서 동명의 전시가 열리고 있으며, 그에 이어 두 번째 전시이자 한국에서 열리는 첫 번째 전시로 2017년 3월 1일부터 14일까지 14일간 서울 종로구 인사동의 사진전문갤러리 ‘갤러리 나우’에서 전시한다.
한인 입양아들은 생의 시작인 태어난 장소와 단절되어 자라나면서, 정체성의 혼란과 붕괴를 경험한다. 그 중 일부는 ‘귀환입양아’로 한국에 터를 잡고 살기 원하나, 상당수는 문화적인 차이와 언어의 장벽으로 정신적인 ‘무국적인’으로 방황한다. 성인이 된 한인 입양아의 마음은 상처로 가득하며, 이 상처는 낯선 땅으로 아이를 보내야만 했던 부모의 마음에도 그대로 남아있다. 이런 상처를 예술로 승화하여 보여주는 이번 전시기간 중에 작가와의 대화, 미혼모 기관 초청, 한국의 미혼모 초청 등의 행사가 함께 진행된다. 아픔이 승화 된 작품을 통해 서로의 상처를 치유하는 기회를 마련하고 함께하는 사회로 나아가는 방향을 모색하고자 한다.
한국에서의 입양은 1950년 한국전쟁으로 전쟁고아들이 생기면서 아이들의 생명을 지키고 가족을 만들어 주기 위해 시작되었다. 아이들은 주로 유럽과 미국으로 입양되어갔고 그 결과는 긍정적인 면과 부정적인 면을 낳았다.
입양아인 호정 또한 해외 입양아의 한 명으로 16살 이후로 극심한 자아정체성의 혼란을 겪었고, 그 정체성을 찾는 과정에서 “Broken Whole”시리즈가 완성되었다. 2014년 한국에서 생모를 만나면서 그 아픔과 치유의 과정을 파트너인 브루노와 함께 사진을 찍으면서 이 작품을 제작했다. 호정과 브루노는 공동 작업하는 예술가 부부로, 작품의 컨셉과 연출을 함께 정하고 시각화하는 작업은 브루노가 담당한다.
“Broken Whole”시리즈는 우리나라가 갖고 있는 입양아와 미혼모에 대한 사회적 문제를 인식하게 하고, 이런 과정에서 나타나는 한 사람의 정체성의 문제를 다양한 각도에서 재고해 봐야 한다는 문제의식을 던져주고 있다. 이 프로젝트를 통해서 현재 한국에서 일어나고 있는 미혼모와 입양아에 대한 현실적 문제 제기와 그 담론을 형성하고 이 주제에 대한 사회적 인식을 다각화하기 위해서 기획되었다.
visibleINvisible은 Hojung Audenaerde와 Bruno Figueras의 창작 2인조이다.
Hojung Audenaerde는 한국에서 태어나 이탈리아의 벨기에인 양부모에게 입양되었다. 미국 유목민 같은 가정에서 자랐으며 현재는 스페인 바르셀로나에 거주 중이다. 16세에 정체성에 혼란을 겪으며 존재의 의미와 진정한 자유와 같은 영적인 의문을 가지면서 접한 요가와 불교를 통해 세계 여러 곳을 다니게 되었다. 그녀의 일생은 그의 현실에 대한 인식과 자각, 더 나아가 작품의 뒤에서 영감을 주는 힘에 깊이 영향을 주었다. 그녀는 내부와 외부를 나누는 것에 대해, 한 사람이 외부적으로 인지되는 것과 내부적으로 느끼는 것의 괴리에 대해 깊이 매료되어 있다. 창작의 과정을 통해, 그녀는 보이는 것과 보이지 않는 것, 물질과 비물질, 인간경험의 취약성과 투명성 사이의 경계를 없애기 위해 노력한다.
Bruno Figueras는 바르셀로나의 사진가로 카메라를 들고 세계를 헤매고 있다. 그는 많은 곳을 여행하면서 낯선 현실을 통해 진실을 찾으려 노력한다. 그가 나중에서야 알게 된 것은, 가장 흥미로운 이야기가 바로 그의 앞, 집안에 있다는 있었다는 것이며, 이는 Hojung 의 절망을 통해 맞닥뜨리게 되었다.

Bruno

UPCOMING EXHIBITIONS & EVENTS
20 September, 2016 - 5 January, 2017 – visibleINvisible: broken whole, House of St Barnabas, London, England
1 - 15 March, 2017 – visibleINvisible: broken whole, Gallery NoW, Seoul, South Korea

Solo Exhibition
2015 Tabulae Luminis, Galeria Valid Foto BCN, Barcelona, Spain

Group Exhibition
2016 ILUSIONARTE, Galeria Senda, Barcelona, Spain
2016 Utopía Photo Market, Barcelona, Spain
2015/16 Sexto Anniversario, Galeria Valid Foto BCN, Barcelona, Spain
2013 Berliner Liste 2013, Pheed.eu Booth, Berlin, Germany
2013 Galeria Hartmann, Barcelona, Spain

Books
realidad los sueños de 100 niños con enfermedades crónicas o de mal pronóstico
Bonart, 22 September, 2016, 3A Subhasta Solidària de Fotografía Ilusionarte promovida per la Fundación Pequeño Deseo
Plataforma de Arte Contemporanéo, 9 June, 2016, Utopía Photo Market una nueva experiencia en Barcelona
Utopía Photo Market, June 2016, Tabulae Luminis
BLOUIN ARTINFO ESPAÑA, 10 March, 2016, Arranca el Utopia Photo Market en Barcelona
lensculture, 2016, Tabulae Luminis
Arte Informado, 10 May, 2015, Tabulae Luminis
La Vanguardia, 12 April, 2015, Eros i Tànatos per Bruno Figueras
Art Barcelona, 7 April, 2015, Tabulae Luminis
Valid Foto, April 2015, Tabulae Luminis
BCN Més, April 2015, Tabulae Luminis
Kedin, 9 March 2015, Tabulae Luminis
Bonart, 8 March, 2015, Tabulae Luminis
Barcelona Photobloggers, 7 March, 2015, Tabulae Luminis
Butxaca, March 2015, Tabulae Luminis
Eventful, March 2015, Tabulae Luminis
La Ventana del Arte, March 2015, Tabulae Luminis
Berliner Liste 2013, 30 October, 2013, ARTISTS Index - Berliner Liste
Tener Cultura, 2 September, 2013, Pheed.eu!!!
Verkami, September 2013, Pheed.eu in the Berliner Liste

Interviews
Barcelona Televisió, 13 April, 2015, BCN de nit al 'Connexió': les fotos de Bruno Figueras

Videos
2014 2014 Soorim Cultural Foundation Photo Contest Bronze prize.

위로